FORTUNE — Fun facts from Lex Machina’s 2013 Patent Litigation Year in Review:
- A record 6,092 new patent cases were filed in U.S. District Courts, up 12.4% from 2012
- As usual, the plaintiff-friendly Eastern District of Texas got more than its share: 1,495, up 20%.
- Judge Rodney Gilstrap in the Eastern District was assigned 941 cases, more than double his nearest colleague.
- The top 10 plaintiffs were so-called patent monetization entities — popularly known as “patent trolls”
- The most active troll was Melvino Technologies/ArrivalStar with 137 cases.
- Apple (AAPL) was the defendant in the most new cases — 59 in all, not counting summary judgements.
- Monsanto won the largest award ($1 billion) from Dupont.
- Apple was No. 2, winning $890 million (excluding costs, fees and post-judgment interest) from Samsung.
Below: The top 10 defendants.