Table of Contents
- Information We Collect
- Information You Provide to Us
- Information Other People Provide About You
- Information We Collect Automatically
- Information We Obtain from Other Sources
- How We Use the Information
- How We Share the Information
- FORTUNE Datastore
- Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
- Conference Applications
- FORTUNE Connect
- Collection of Information by Third Parties
- Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
- Privacy Options
- Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Our Commitment to Security
- Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies
- Online Advertising
- Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
- Notice to Nevada Residents
- Special Note for Parents
- Non-U.S. Visitors
- How to Contact Us
California Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice
For individuals who are residents of the State of California.
For individuals located in member countries of the European Economic Area, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Canada Privacy Notice
For individuals who live in Canada.
We collect information about you in various ways and from various sources. For example, you may provide personal information directly to us, we may receive personal information about you from someone else, we may collect certain information about you automatically through your use of the Services, or we may obtain information about you from third parties who are acting on our behalf.
When you use the Services, you may, among other activities, order publications and products; subscribe to FORTUNE Newsletters; apply to attend or register for a FORTUNE conference; register to create an online account; subscribe for access to digital and other content; or post comments and other user-generated content. The information that you provide to us and that we collect or receive depends on your relationship with us and your interaction with the Services, but may include personal information such as your name, email address, year of birth, address, job title, telephone number or fax number. In addition, you may be asked to provide us or one of our third party providers with payment information, such as your credit card or debit card number, where needed, such as when completing a purchase.
We may also collect information about your personal or professional interests, your organization or industry and your use of, or opinions about, various products, programs and services. For instance, we may ask you to identify your job or industry to qualify you for free business magazines.
Additional information regarding data collection and use related to FORTUNE conferences appears in the “Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders” and “Conference Applications” sections below.
Additional information regarding data collection and use related to FORTUNE Connect appears in the “FORTUNE Connect” section below.
Information Other People Provide About You
Information We Collect Automatically
We, our partners, advertisers, advertising networks or other third party service providers, as explained further in the “Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies” section below, may also automatically collect certain information when you visit our web pages, open our emails, use our applications, or otherwise use the Services. Such automatically collected information may include:
- The type of browser and operating system you are using.
- Your IP address or mobile device identifier.
- The domain name of your internet service provider.
- The date and time of a visit, information about the content you view and the features you access, the number of links you click within the website or applications, as well as your activity and behavior on our websites or applications.
- Location-based information regarding the state or country from which you accessed our Services.
- Information regarding the advertisements you have interacted with, viewed, or accessed, such as the number of times you view an advertisement.
This data may be combined and linked with data from other sources.
Information We Obtain from Other Sources
We may engage service providers to collect information about you on our behalf. For example, as described in the “Fortune Datastore” section below, we may engage third party service providers to collect publicly available information about certain individuals who work at companies that are included on various lists, such as the FORTUNE 500 list. We may also engage entities who assist us in identifying individuals whom we may invite to FORTUNE conferences. Depending on the length of time for which you have been a subscriber, we may have received information about you and your subscription history from entities with which the publication was previously affiliated. If you use certain third-party payment providers to purchase a subscription, we may receive information associated with your account (e.g., billing address) from that provider.
We also receive information from you when you interact with our pages, groups, accounts or posts on social media and other third party platforms. This includes aggregate data on our followers, data regarding how you engage with our content (such as likes, comments, and shares) and publicly available profile information.
How We Use the Information
- To fulfill requests for our publications, products or services, including to send you FORTUNE newsletters, facilitate and complete your payments and transactions, and to respond to inquiries about offerings.
- To provide you with the Services.
- To evaluate your eligibility for certain products and Services.
- To market to you and offer other products, programs or services that may be of interest.
- To communicate with you, such as to notify you of new products and services, provide you updates and offers related to your account or subscription, when we make changes to subscriber agreements, to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter, or to contact you or respond to you inquiries.
- With respect to information collected in connection with our online forums and communities, to provide an interactive experience and facilitate participation in these online forums and communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
- To improve the design and content of our publications and Services, which includes using analytics to develop new products and services.
- To conduct research and analytics.
- To enable us to customize your user experience and analyze site usage, including by tracking the online articles and digital content you have accessed and read.
- To offer you enhanced products, programs, or services.
- To permit third-parties to market and advertise to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Fortune Media (USA) Corporation, including for billing and collection, and as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users or to comply with applicable law.
- For other uses that advance our commercial or economic interests.
- In any other way as we may describe when you provide the information or otherwise at your direction or with your consent.
- As permitted by law, including for auditing, fraud and security monitoring.
How We Share the Information
We may share the information we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, as follows:
- We may share your information with our service providers, business partners and vendors on which we rely to, for example, assist us in providing the Services to you. These third parties use your information as is necessary or appropriate for the performance of the services they provide to us, or as otherwise contractually permitted. For example, we may share information about FORTUNE conference attendees with our event sponsors.
- We may share your information, including information that is combined with outside records, with third parties who provide services to us, such as direct marketing services, in order to enhance our ability to market to you those products or services that may be of interest to you.
- As described in more detail in the section on “FORTUNE Connect” if you have activated your FORTUNE Connect account, we may share information you have provided about yourself and information about your registration for, attendance at and/or interaction with events, content, offerings and other FORTUNE Connect content with other FORTUNE Connect members. We may also share certain account details, including usage information, as well as aggregate and anonymized information about your account, with the relevant Enterprise Contractor (i.e., your employer or any other third-party that makes your FORTUNE Connect account available to you).
- When you request a magazine, service, or other product, we will share your information to the extent necessary to fulfill your request. We may contact you with special offers of possible interest.
- We will disclose information we collect about you when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency’s request.
Fortune Media (USA) Corporation may publish or offer for purchase data regarding companies or organizations that are selected to the FORTUNE 500, FORTUNE 1000, Global 500 and 100 Best Companies to Work For lists and other similar lists or rankings. If your company or organization is selected to be ranked on one of these lists, we may collect your name, business address, business contact details, additional information about your position in your company and information about your professional background and publish this together with the list or other publication. Such data is obtained solely from publicly available sources.
Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
When you register for the first time for one of our conferences we ask you to open a Fortune Live Media Account and to provide certain information, including your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, the company you work for, and credit card or other payment information so that we can process and approve your registration and better assist you when you contact us in the future (e.g., regarding other conferences you wish to attend). We may also use your personal information to inform you about our services, upcoming conferences and marketing events.
When you register for one of our conferences, we upload the data you provide to us during the Fortune Live Media Account registration process, and other information that you may provide to us in connection with your attendance at one of our conferences, into our mobile application for that conference.
When you download and log in to use the app, you must provide your name and create a password and you may voluntarily provide certain additional data to us and other authorized users of the app, including your photo and bio.
You may also choose to import data into the app from a social media profile, such as from your LinkedIn profile.
The app enables you to network and interact with other conference attendees by, for example, sharing your agenda and profile with those attendees and enabling in-app messaging.
The default privacy setting in the app makes your profile, agenda and other information visible to other authorized users of the app, including other attendees.
You may adjust your privacy settings in the app to the extent you wish to make your profile “Invisible” or “Public.”
You may also visit the “Notifications” center in the app to adjust when you receive push notifications. We assign a unique user ID to your app on your device so that we can identify you when you use the app and collect user metrics such as how you use the app.
We use the information we collect to operate and constantly improve our apps, to provide our services to you and other users and for promotional purposes.
Account Registration & Activation
We collect information directly from you when you apply to become a FORTUNE Connect member (also referred to as a “Fellow”) or first register with FORTUNE Connect, such as your name, title, organization, contact information, account credentials and payment information. You may also choose to provide additional information, such a link to your LinkedIn profile.
If you are approved to use FORTUNE Connect, once you activate your account, you can choose to update your Profile with additional information. For example, you may add a profile photo or provide information about your education background.
If you apply to join FORTUNE Connect and are not approved to be a FORTUNE Connect member, we will retain certain information that you have provided. We will use such information for recordkeeping purposes so that we know you have applied to be a member, and for our marketing purposes so that we can contact you about other Fortune content in which you may be interested.
Accounts Made Available by Enterprise Contractors
If your account is made available by your employer or another third party (“Enterprise Contractor”), we will receive certain account registration details about you, such as your name and contact information, from the Enterprise Contractor who makes your FORTUNE Connect account available to you. We may share certain information and account details with the Enterprise Contractor that sponsors your account, which may include information regarding your interaction with your FORTUNE Connect account, the frequency with which you use it, and/or aggregated or anonymized data about your use of FORTUNE Connect.
Default Privacy Settings
The default privacy settings in FORTUNE Connect are as follows:
- All information you have included in your Profile is viewable by other FORTUNE Connect members.
- Your Profile is included in the Directory of Fellows, which means that other FORTUNE Connect members can search for and find you.
You may list and unlist your Profile from the Directory of Fellows by changing your privacy settings at any time on the Profile page. Certain Profile entries are mandatory, such as your name, title and company. Other Profile entries are optional. You can choose to not populate the optional fields or delete the information you have included in those fields if you want to limit the Profile entries that are shown to other FORTUNE Connect members. In addition, even if you choose to remove yourself from the Directory of Fellows, other members may be able to view your Profile in other contexts when you use FORTUNE Connect, such as when you comment on content.
Sharing Throughout the FORTUNE Connect Community
FORTUNE Connect is designed to provide an interactive experience and facilitate participation in the FORTUNE Connect community. As a result, we may share information you have provided about yourself and information about your registration for, attendance at and/or interaction with events, content, offerings and other FORTUNE Connect content with other FORTUNE Connect members.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
We sometimes may offer conferences, contests, sweepstakes, promotions, editorial features, or other activities or offerings that are sponsored, co-branded or co-sponsored by or presented with identified third parties. If you, or your company or organization, choose to participate in such activities or offerings, your IP address and the personal information that you voluntarily submit or that other people submit about you may be provided to Fortune Media (USA) Corporation, our affiliates and such third parties. Fortune Media (USA) Corporation has no control over such third parties’ use of your information.
Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
Email Marketing. If you prefer not to receive email marketing from us or our affiliates, you may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that is contained in those email messages.
Telephone Marketing. Please email us at email@example.com if you do not wish to receive telephone calls from us.
Targeted Advertising. Please see our AdChoices page and “Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising” below for information about how to disable cookies and other choices that may be available to you regarding targeted advertising.
Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
To make such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information while you have an account with us and thereafter for purposes not prohibited by applicable laws. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal information or de-identify it so that it is anonymous and not attributed to your identity.
Our Commitment to Security
Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies
- Provide us with information about which portions of our websites and applications are the most popular by enabling us to see what web pages a user visits and how much time a user spends on each page.
- Personalize your experience on our Services (e.g., to recognize you by name when you return to our site, to save your password in password-protected areas, to enable shopping carts, or to tailor content, or product and service offerings).
- Help us understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access the Services.
Local Shared Objects. Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies” also may be stored on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies because they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences; however, they cannot be managed in the same way as cookies. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
HTML 5. HTML5, the language some websites are coded in, may be used to store information on your computer or device about how you use the Services. This information may be retrieved by us to help us manage the Services, and may give us information about how the Services are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and how we can customize the Services for users.
Cache Cookies. Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited a Service or Services in the past.
Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information. Certain mobile devices, including smart phones and tablet devices, contain unique device IDs that can be used to identify their physical location. Some mobile device IDs are permanent, while others may be changed by accessing the device’s privacy settings. Mobile devices also typically transmit caller ID data (which may include a phone number) when used to transmit a telephone call or text message. When you use mobile devices to access our Services, we may collect and transmit unique device IDs and collect caller ID data, as well as other information about your device, including without limitation, your wireless carrier, the make, model, operating system, capacity and settings of your device, the names, package IDs and versions of other software you have downloaded to your device and information about how you interact with and navigate within our Service.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or our by our service providers, partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and may allow us to relate your use of the relevant Services to other information about you, including your usage information and personal information. We may match information collected from you through different means or at different times and combine such information with information obtained from other sources (including third parties), such as demographic information and updated contact information (where that information has been lawfully disclosed to us), for the purposes of learning more about you so we can provide you with relevant content.
Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser options so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies or similar tracking technologies and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar tracking technologies might prevent you from accessing some of our content. Also, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out of targeted advertising. In that case, the ads will not be tailored to your perceived interests.
For more information on advertisements and your targeted advertising options, visit our AdChoices page.
Notice for Nevada Residents
If you are a Nevada resident, you can opt-out of sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about you. To submit an opt-out request, please email us at email@example.com and specify that you are a Nevada resident. You can manage your cookie preferences by clicking the “Cookie Preferences” button at the bottom of our homepage, www.fortune.com.
Special Note for Parents
The Services are not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we have collected information from your child, please contact us as set out under “How to Contact Us” below.
Any information we obtain about you in connection with your use of the Services may be processed and stored in the United States or other countries.
How to Contact Us