Table of Contents
- Information We Collect
- Information You Provide to Us
- Information Other People Provide About You
- Information We Collect Automatically
- Information We Obtain from Other Sources
- How We Use the Information
- How We Share the Information
- FORTUNE Datastore
- Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
- Conference Applications
- Collection of Information by Third Parties
- Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
- Privacy Options
- Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Our Commitment to Security
- Online Tracking and Advertising
- Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
- Your California Privacy Rights: Notice to California Customers
- Do Not Track
- Special Note for Parents
- Non-U.S. Visitors
- How to Contact Us
For individuals located in member countries of the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
Canada Privacy Notice
Information We Collect
We collect information about you in various ways. For example, you may provide personal information directly to us, we may receive personal information about you from someone else, we may collect certain information about you automatically through your use of the Services, or we may obtain information about you from third parties who are acting on our behalf.
Information You Provide To Us
When you use the Services, you may, among other activities, order publications and products; engage in various activities like entering contests or sweepstakes, playing games, taking quizzes, voting in polls or otherwise expressing an opinion; subscribe to FORTUNE Newsletters; and apply to attend or register for a FORTUNE conference. The information that you provide and that we collect or receive depends on your interaction with the Services but may include personal information such as your name, email address, year of birth, address, job title, telephone number or fax number. In addition, you may be asked to provide one of our third party providers with payment information, such as your credit card or debit card number, where needed, such as when completing a purchase.
We may also collect information about your personal or professional interests, your organization or industry and your use of, or opinions about, various products, programs and services. For instance, we may ask you to identify your job or industry to qualify you for free business magazines.
Information Other People Provide About You
Information We Collect Automatically
We, our partners, advertisers, advertising networks or other third party service providers, as explained further in the “Collection of Information by Third Parties” section below, may also automatically collect certain information when you visit our web pages, open our emails, use our applications, or otherwise use the Services. Such automatically collected information may include:
- The type of browser and operating system you are using.
- Your IP address or mobile device identifier.
- The domain name of your internet service provider.
- Information about the content you view and the features you access, as well as your activity and behavior on our websites or applications.
- Location-based information.
- Information regarding the advertisements you have interacted with, viewed, or accessed.
This data may be combined and linked with data from other sources.
Information We Obtain from Other Sources
We may also engage service providers to collect information about you on our behalf. For example, as described in the “Fortune Datastore” section below, we may engage third party service providers to collect publicly available information about certain individuals who work at companies that are included on various lists, such as the FORTUNE 500 list.
How We Use the Information
- To fulfill requests for our publications, products or services, to send you FORTUNE newsletters, to respond to inquiries about offerings and to offer other products, programs or services that may be of interest.
- To communicate with you, such as to notify you when you have won one of our contests or sweepstakes, when we make changes to subscriber agreements, to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter, or to contact you about your account.
- With respect to information collected in connection with our online forums and communities, to provide an interactive experience and facilitate participation in these online forums and communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
- To improve the design and content of our publications and websites, enable us to customize your user experience, analyze site usage and offer you enhanced products, programs, or services.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Fortune Media (USA) Corporation, including for billing and collection, and as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users or to comply with applicable law.
- In any other way as we may describe when you provide the information or otherwise at your direction or with your consent.
- As permitted by law.
How We Share the Information
We may share the information we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, as follows:
- We may share your information with our service providers, business partners and vendors on which we rely to, for example, assist us in providing the Services to you. These third parties use your information as is necessary or appropriate for the performance of the services they provide to us, or as otherwise contractually permitted.
- We may share your information, including information that is combined with outside records, with third parties who provide services to us, such as direct marketing services, in order to enhance our ability to market to you those products or services that may be of interest to you.
- If you choose to submit content (e.g., a “letter to our editors” or an online review), we may publish your name, screen name and other information you have provided to us. You hereby consent to this.
- When you request a magazine, service, or other product, we will share your information to the extent necessary to fulfill your request. We may contact you with special offers of possible interest.
- We will disclose information we collect about you when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency’s request.
In addition, please note that if Fortune Media (USA) Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries or lines of business is merged, acquired, divested, financed, sold, disposed of or dissolved, including through merger, consolidation, sale or divestiture of assets, the relevant customer database, including personal information we may possess about you, may, in whole or in part, be sold, disposed of, transferred, divested, or otherwise disclosed as part of that transaction or proceeding.
Fortune Media (USA) Corporation may publish or offer for purchase data regarding companies or organizations that are selected to the FORTUNE 500, FORTUNE 1000, Global 500 and 100 Best Companies to Work For lists and other similar lists or rankings. If your company or organization is selected to be ranked on one of these lists, we may collect your name, business address, business contact details, additional information about your position in your company and information about your professional background and publish this together with the list or other publication. Such data is obtained solely from publicly available sources.
Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
When you register for the first time for one of our conferences we ask you to open a Fortune Live Media Account and to provide certain information, including your name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, the company you work for, and credit card or other payment information so that we can process and approve your registration and better assist you when you contact us in the future (e.g., regarding other conferences you wish to attend). We may also use your personal data to inform you about our services, upcoming conferences and marketing events. Our lawful basis for processing your personal data is the performance of your contract with us and our legitimate business interest in promoting our conferences, services and marketing events.
When you register for one of our conferences, we upload the data you provide to us during the
Fortune Live Media Account registration process, and other information that you may provide to
us in connection with your attendance at one of our conferences, into our mobile application for
that conference. When you download and log in to use the app, you must provide your name
and create a password and you may voluntarily provide certain additional data to us and other
authorized users of the app, including your photo and bio. You may also choose to import data
into the app from a social media profile, such as from your LinkedIn profile. The app enables
you to network and interact with other conference attendees by, for example, sharing your
agenda and profile with those attendees and enabling in-app messaging. The default privacy
setting in the app makes your profile, agenda and other information visible to other authorized
users of the app, including other attendees. You may adjust your privacy settings in the app to
the extent you wish to make your profile “Invisible” or “Public.” You may also visit the
“Notifications” center in the app to adjust when you receive push notifications. We assign a
unique user ID to your app on your device so that we can identify you when you use the app
and collect user metrics such as how you use the app. We use the information we collect to
operate and constantly improve our apps, to provide our services to you and other users and for
promotional purposes. Our lawful basis for processing your data is our legitimate business interest.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
We sometimes may offer conferences, contests, sweepstakes, promotions, editorial features, or other activities or offerings that are sponsored, co-branded or co-sponsored by or presented with identified third parties. If you, or your company or organization, choose to participate in such activities or offerings, your IP address and the personal information that you voluntarily submit or that other people submit about you may be provided to Fortune Media (USA) Corporation, our affiliates and such third parties. Fortune Media (USA) Corporation has no control over such third parties’ use of your information.
Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
Email Marketing. If you prefer not to receive email marketing from us or our affiliates, you may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that is contained in those email messages.
Email Marketing from Third Parties. If you do not want us to share your email address with third parties not owned by Fortune Media (USA) Corporation or our affiliates for those third parties to use your email address to offer their products or services, or the products and services of other third parties, to you via email, please email us at email@example.com and request that we opt you out of such sharing.
Telephone Marketing. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not wish to receive telephone calls from us.
Targeted Advertising. Please see our AdChoices page and “Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising” below for information about how to disable cookies and other choices that may be available to you regarding targeted advertising.
Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information while you have an account with us and thereafter for purposes not prohibited by applicable laws. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal information or de-identify it so that it is anonymous and not attributed to your identity. Your rights to request that we delete your personal information are set forth in the “Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information” section above.
Our Commitment to Security
Online Tracking and Advertising
- Provide us with information about which portions of our websites and applications are the most popular by enabling us to see what web pages a user visits and how much time a user spends on each page.
- Personalize your experience on our Services (e.g., to recognize you by name when you return to our site, to save your password in password-protected areas, to enable shopping carts, or to tailor content, or product and service offerings).
- Help us understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access the Services.
Cookies, by themselves, do not tell us your email address or other personal information about you unless you choose to provide this information to us by, for example, registering with one of our Services. Once you choose to provide us with personal information, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser options so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies or similar tracking technologies and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar tracking technologies might prevent you from accessing some of our content. If you wish to block cookies, go to http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ to find out how, or check your browser’s instructions.
Local Shared Objects. Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies” also may be stored on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies because they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences; however, they cannot be managed in the same way as cookies. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
HTML 5. HTML5, the language some websites are coded in, may be used to store information on your computer or device about how you use the Services. This information may be retrieved by us to help us manage the Services, and may give us information about how the Services are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and how we can customize the Services for users.
Cache Cookies. Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited a Service or Services in the past.
Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information. Certain mobile devices, including smart phones and tablet devices, contain unique device IDs that can be used to identify their physical location. Some mobile device IDs are permanent, while others may be changed by accessing the device’s privacy settings. Mobile devices also typically transmit caller ID data (which may include a phone number) when used to transmit a telephone call or text message. When you use mobile devices to access our Services, we may collect and transmit unique device IDs and collect caller ID data, as well as other information about your device, including without limitation, your wireless carrier, the make, model, operating system, capacity and settings of your device, the names, package IDs and versions of other software you have downloaded to your device and information about how you interact with and navigate within our Service.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or our by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and may allow us to relate your use of the relevant Services to other information about you, including your usage information and personal information. We may match information collected from you through different means or at different times and combine such information with information obtained from other sources (including third parties), such as demographic information and updated contact information (where that information has been lawfully disclosed to us), for the purposes of learning more about you so we can provide you with relevant content.
Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
For more information on advertisements and your behavioral advertising options, visit our AdChoices page.
Your California Privacy Rights: Notice to California Customers
California’s “Shine the Light” law, California Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the businesses’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. We have such a policy in place. As discussed above, if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your information with third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, please contact us at email@example.com
Do Not Track
Fortune Media (USA) Corporation sites do not recognize the “do not track signals” that some browsers may employ as no uniform standard for responding to such signals has been developed at this time.
Special Note for Parents
The site you are visiting is not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Any information we obtain about you in connection with your use of the Services may be processed and stored in the United States or other countries.
How to Contact Us