Table of Contents
- Information We Collect
- Information You Provide to Us
- Information Other People Provide About You
- Information We Collect Automatically
- Information We Obtain from Other Sources
- How We Use the Information
- If You Do Not Provide the Information Requested From You
- How We Share the Information
- FORTUNE Datastore
- Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
- Conference Applications
- Collection of Information by Third Parties
- Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
- Privacy Options
- Your Rights
- Retention of Personal Data
- Our Commitment to Security
- Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies
- Online Advertising
- Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
- Special Note for Parents
- No Automated Decision Making
- Data Protection Officer and Representative in the EEA
- How to Contact Us
For individuals who are residents of the State of California.
For individuals located in the United States of America.
For individuals who live in Canada.
Fortune Media IP Limited is a Hong Kong limited liability company. We are the controller of your personal data, i.e., we decide on the means and purpose of the processing of your personal data, and can be reached as set out in the “How to Contact Us” section below. Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living individual.
Information We Collect
We collect information about you in various ways and from various sources. For example, you may provide personal data directly to us, we may receive personal data about you from someone else, we may collect certain information about you automatically through your use of the Services, or we may obtain information about you from third parties who are acting on our behalf or with whom we cooperate.
Information You Provide To Us
When you use the Services, you may, among other activities, order publications and products; subscribe to FORTUNE Newsletters; apply to attend or register for a FORTUNE conference; register to create an online account; subscribe for access to digital and other content; or post comments and other user-generated content. The information that you provide to us and that we collect or receive depends on your relationship with us and your interaction with the Services but may include personal data such as your name, email address, year of birth, address, job title, telephone number or fax number. In addition, you may be asked to provide us or one of our third party providers with payment information, such as your credit card or debit card number, where needed, such as when completing a purchase.
We may also collect information about your personal or professional interests, your organization or industry and your use of, or opinions about, various products, programs and services. For instance, we may ask you to identify your job or industry to qualify you for free business magazines.
Additional information regarding data collection and use related to FORTUNE conferences appears in the “Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders” and “Conference Applications” sections below.
Information Other People Provide About You
Information We Collect Automatically
We, our partners, advertisers, advertising networks or other third party service providers, as explained further in the “Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies” section below, may also automatically collect certain personal data when you visit our web pages, open our emails, use our applications, or otherwise use the Services. Such automatically collected information may include:
- The type of browser and operating system you are using.
- Your IP address or mobile device identifier.
- The domain name of your internet service provider.
- The date and time of a visit, information about the content you view and the features you access, the number of links you click within the website or applications as well as your activity and behavior on our websites or applications.
- Location-based information regarding the state or country from which you accessed our Services.
- Information regarding the advertisements you have interacted with, viewed, or accessed, such as the number of times you view an advertisement.
This data may be combined and linked with data relating to you from other sources in order to improve our Services and for advertising purposes. Our lawful basis is our legitimate business interest to constantly improve our Services to provide you with information relating to our offerings which might be of interest to you.
Information We Obtain from Other Sources
We may engage service providers to collect information about you on our behalf. For example, as described in the “Fortune Datastore” section below, we may engage third party service providers to collect publicly available information about certain individuals who work at companies that are included on various lists, such as the FORTUNE 500 list. We may also engage entities who assist us in identifying individuals whom we may invite to FORTUNE conferences. Depending on the length of time for which you have been a subscriber, we may have received information about you and your subscription history from entities with which the publication was previously affiliated. If you use certain third-party payment providers to purchase a subscription, we may receive information associated with your account (e.g., billing address) from that provider.
We also receive information from you when you interact with our pages, groups, accounts or posts on social media and other third party platforms. This includes aggregate data on our followers, data regarding how you engage with our content (such as likes, comments, and shares) and publicly available profile information.
Our lawful basis is our legitimate business interest to constantly improve our Services and to provide you with information relating to our offerings which might be of interest to you, perform a contract with you or take steps prior to entering into a contract with you.
How We Use the Information
- To fulfill requests for our publications, products or services, including to send you FORTUNE newsletters, facilitate and complete your payments and transactions, and to respond to inquiries about offerings.
- To provide you with the Services.
- To market to you and offer other products, programs or services that may be of interest.
- To communicate with you, such as to notify you of new products and services, provide you updates and offers related to your account or subscription, when we make changes to subscriber agreements, to fulfill a request by you for an online newsletter, or to contact you or respond to you inquiries.
- With respect to information collected in connection with our online forums and communities, to provide an interactive experience and facilitate participation in these online forums and communities and, from time to time, to offer you products, programs, or services.
- To improve the design and content of our publications and Services, which includes using analytics to develop new products and services.
- To conduct research and analytics.
- To enable us to customize your user experience and analyze site usage, including by tracking the online articles and digital content you have accessed and read.
- To offer you enhanced products, programs, or services.
- To permit third-parties to market and advertise to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Fortune Media IP Limited, including for billing and collection, and as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users or to comply with applicable law.
- For other uses that advance our commercial or economic interests.
- In any other way as we may describe when you provide the information or otherwise at your direction or with your consent.
- As permitted by law, including for auditing, fraud and security monitoring.
Our lawful basis for processing your personal data is your consent or, as the case may be, performance of your contract with us, steps prior of you entering into a contract with us or our legitimate business interest or the legitimate interest of our affiliates or other third party in the activity described above.
If You Do Not Provide the Information Requested From You
Some of the personal data requested from you is required in order for you to use our Services. If you do not wish to provide such personal data, you are not obligated to, but as a result we may not be able to provide the particular Service to you. However, some of the personal data requested from you is optional. This means that you can elect not to provide it to us and you will still be able to use the Service. If not all the personal data requested on a form is required, the required personal data may be identified to you such as by displaying an asterisk (*) next to the field where the required personal data is requested.
How We Share the Information
We may share the information we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal data, as follows:
- We may share your information with our service providers, business partners and vendors on which we rely to, for example, assist us in providing the Services to you. These third parties use your information as is necessary or appropriate for the performance of the services they provide to us, or as otherwise contractually permitted. For example, we may share information about FORTUNE conference attendees with our event sponsors.
- We may share your information, including information that is combined with outside records, with third parties who provide services to us, such as direct marketing services, in order to enhance our ability to market to you those products or services that may be of interest to you.
- When you request a magazine, service, or other product, we will share your information to the extent necessary to fulfill your request. We may contact you with special offers of possible interest.
- Pursuant to applicable law, we may also have to share your personal data with regulators, public institutions, courts or other third parties.
In addition, please note that if Fortune Media IP Limited or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries or lines of business is merged, acquired, divested, financed, sold, disposed of or dissolved, including through merger, consolidation, sale or divestiture of assets, the relevant customer database, including personal data we may possess about you, may, in whole or in part, be sold, disposed of, transferred, divested, or otherwise disclosed as part of that transaction or proceeding.
The personal data you provide to us is processed in the EEA, the United States and other countries outside of the EEA, Switzerland and the UK. If we transfer your data from the EEA, Switzerland or the UK to the United States or to any other country which is not subject to an adequacy decision of the Commission of the European Union regarding an adequate level of protection of personal data, we will always ensure that there is a legal basis and, if required, a relevant safeguard method for such data transfer so that your personal data is treated in a manner that is consistent with, and respects EEA laws and other applicable laws and regulations on data protection. We have put in place EU standard contractual clauses as our safeguard method for data transfers from the EEA, Switzerland and the U.K. to our group of companies and our service providers outside of the EEA, Switzerland and the U.K., unless the respective service provider signed up to the EU/U.S. Privacy Shield program or, as the case may be, to the Switzerland/U.S. Privacy Shield program. If you require further information on our data transfers or a copy of standard contractual clauses we put in place you can request this from us. Please reach us as set out in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
We or Fortune Media (USA) Corporation may publish or offer for purchase data regarding companies or organizations that are selected to the FORTUNE 500, FORTUNE 1000, Global 500 and 100 Best Companies to Work For lists and other similar lists or rankings. If your company or organization is selected to be ranked on one of these lists, we may collect your name, business address, business contact details, additional information about your position in your company and information about your professional background and publish this together with the list or other publication. Such data is obtained solely from publicly available sources. Your data will be processed exclusively for the purpose of the FORTUNE 500 list or our other publications and you will be provided with information about the data collected and processed. The lawful basis for collecting and processing your data is our legitimate business interest and the legitimate interest of third parties.
Information We Collect From Fortune Live Media Account Holders
When you register for the first time for one of our conferences we ask you to open a Fortune Live Media Account and to provide certain information, including your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, the company you work for, and credit card or other payment information so that we can process and approve your registration and better assist you when you contact us in the future (e.g., regarding other conferences you wish to attend). We may also use your personal data to inform you about our services, upcoming conferences and marketing events. Our lawful basis for processing your personal data is the performance of your contract with us and our legitimate business interest in promoting our conferences, services and marketing events.
When you register for one of our conferences, we upload the data you provide to us during the Fortune Live Media Account registration process, and other information that you may provide to us in connection with your attendance at one of our conferences, into our mobile application for that conference. When you download and log in to use the app, you must provide your name and create a password and you may voluntarily provide certain additional data to us and other authorized users of the app, including your photo and bio. You may also choose to import data into the app from a social media profile, such as from your LinkedIn profile. The app enables you to network and interact with other conference attendees by, for example, sharing your agenda and profile with those attendees and enabling in-app messaging. The default privacy setting in the app makes your profile, agenda and other information visible to other authorized users of the app, including other attendees. You may adjust your privacy settings in the app to the extent you wish to make your profile “Invisible” or “Public.” You may also visit the “Notifications” center in the app to adjust when you receive push notifications. We assign a unique user ID to your app on your device so that we can identify you when you use the app and collect user metrics such as how you use the app. We use the information we collect to operate and constantly improve our apps, to provide our services to you and other users and for promotional purposes. Our lawful basis for processing your data is our legitimate business interest.
Collection of Information by Third Parties
We sometimes may offer conferences, contests, sweepstakes, promotions, editorial features, or other activities or offerings that are sponsored, co-branded or co-sponsored by or presented with identified third parties. If you, or your company or organization, choose to participate in such activities or offerings, your IP address and the personal data that you voluntarily submit or that other people submit about you may be provided to us and our affiliates and such third parties. Such third parties will act as controllers of your personal data and we have no control over such third parties' use of your personal data.
Links to Third Party Sites or Other Services
Email Marketing. We and our affiliates will only send you marketing emails in compliance with applicable law. If you prefer not to receive email marketing from us or our affiliates, you may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that is contained in those email messages.
Telephone Marketing. We and our affiliates will only contact you by telephone in compliance with applicable law. Please email us at email@example.com if you do not wish to receive telephone calls from us.
Targeted Advertising. Please see our AdChoices page and “Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising” below for information about how to disable cookies and other choices that may be available to you regarding targeted advertising.
You have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to your personal data that we hold. These rights are to:
- request access to your personal data and request information in relation to its processing;
- request rectification of your personal data;
- request the erasure of your personal data;
- request the restriction of processing of your personal data
- object to the processing of your personal data.
You also have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to have us transmit those personal data to another controller, if you have provided these personal data to us, if the processing is based on consent or on a contract you have entered into with us or if the processing is carried out by us by automated means, subject, however, to legal restrictions which may apply.
In case you have provided your consent to the collection, processing or transfer of your personal data, you have the right to fully or partly withdraw your consent. To withdraw your consent, please contact us as set out under “How to Contact Us” below. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose(s) to which you originally consented unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for further processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims. In case we processed your personal data for promotional or direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object at any time, in which case we will no longer process your personal data for such marketing purposes.
If you want to exercise one of these rights please submit a request at the “EU Data Subject Requests” or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that all your rights are subject to legal restrictions which may apply. We may also ask you to verify your identity before we are able to respond to your request.
You also have the right to make a complaint at any time to a supervisory authority in any EEA member state or other competent body.
Retention of Personal Data
We will retain your personal data as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal data or anonymize it so that it cannot be attributed to your identity and therefore is no longer considered as personal data. Please note that we may continue to retain personal data for purposes of our legitimate interests, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our claims.
Our Commitment to Security
Cookies and Other Online Tracking Technologies
- Provide us with information about which portions of our websites and applications are the most popular by enabling us to see what web pages a user visits and how much time a user spends on each page.
- Personalize your experience on our Services (e.g., to recognize you by name when you return to our site, to save your password in password-protected areas, to enable shopping carts, or to tailor content, or product and service offerings).
- Help us understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access the Services.
Local Shared Objects. Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies” also may be stored on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies because they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences; however, they cannot be managed in the same way as cookies. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, see http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
HTML 5. HTML5, the language some websites are coded in, may be used to store information on your computer or device about how you use the Services. This information may be retrieved by us, our service providers or partners to help us manage the Services, and may give us information about how the Services are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and how we can customize the Services for users.
Cache Cookies. Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited a Service or Services in the past.
Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information. Certain mobile devices, including smart phones and tablet devices, contain unique device IDs that can be used to identify their physical location. Some mobile device IDs are permanent, while others may be changed by accessing the device's privacy settings. Mobile devices also typically transmit caller ID data (which may include a phone number) when used to transmit a telephone call or text message. When you use mobile devices to access our Services, we may collect and transmit unique device IDs and collect caller ID data, as well as other information about your device, including without limitation, your wireless carrier, the make, model, operating system, capacity and settings of your device, the names, package IDs and versions of other software you have downloaded to your device and information about how you interact with and navigate within our Services.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or our by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and may allow us to relate your use of the relevant Services to other information about you, including your usage information and personal data. We may match information collected from you through different means or at different times and combine such information with information obtained from other sources (including third parties), such as demographic information and updated contact information (where that information has been lawfully disclosed to us), for the purposes of learning more about you so we can provide you with relevant content.
The lawful basis for collection of your personal data via cookies or other tracking technologies and further processing of these data is our legitimate business interest or the legitimate business interest of our service providers and partners. The lawful basis for processing your location data is your consent.
Choices Related to Online Tracking and Advertising
For more information on advertisements and your targeted advertising options visit our AdChoices page, or manage your cookie preferences.
Special Note for Parents
The Services are not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 16. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we have collected information from your child, please contact us as set out under “How to Contact Us” below.
No Automated Decision Making
We do not apply automated decision making techniques.
Data Protection Officer and Representative in the EEA
We have appointed a data protection officer. If you wish to contact our data protection officer, please email us at email@example.com or contact us as set out under “How to Contact Us” below.
As a non-EEA resident controller we have appointed a local representative in the EEA. Our local EEA representative is Fortune Media (Ireland) Limited and can be contacted as set out under “How to Contact Us” below.
How to Contact Us
Fortune Media IP Limited
c/o Fortune Media Hong Kong Limited 40
812 Silvercord, Tower 1,
30 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon, Hong Kong
Our local representative in the EEA can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or under the following address:
Fortune Media (Ireland) Limited