If there’s one element you need to home in on to understand health insurer Cigna’s 2020 success, Evernorth is a pretty good place to start. The company climbed more than 50 spots on the Fortune 500 after completing its merger with pharmacy benefits manager Express Scripts. That sent its revenues skyrocketing—and then the pandemic hit. How did Cigna manage to deal with that buzz saw? The Evernorth subsidiary, which encompasses Express Scripts, brought in $30.6 billion in the first quarter of 2021 and moved to expand its plan memberships in five more states and 67 new counties. It doesn’t hurt that Evernorth acquired the virtual care platform MDLive at the beginning of 2021—at a time when telehealth demand is soaring.
Lists ranking Cigna
Latest news for Cigna
- HealthUnitedHealthcare, Cigna, and Humana offer discounts to customersMay 7, 2020 2:30 PM UTC
- LeadershipJohnson & Johnson CEO Says Fix the Drug Pricing Process, But Not Too MuchDecember 4, 2018 4:56 PM UTC
- HealthWhat Carl Icahn Said In His Brutal Letter Slamming the Cigna-Express Scripts DealAugust 7, 2018 2:18 PM UTC
- HealthHow the CVS Aetna Deal Will Change How You Get Health CareDecember 4, 2017 7:06 PM UTC
- HealthCigna Escalates War on Opioids With OxyContin Crackdown. Is It About Public Health or Business?October 6, 2017 7:45 PM UTC