The Clinton Foundation will no longer accept donations from foreign and corporate entities if Hillary Clinton becomes president, according to reports.
Former President Bill Clinton and their daughter Chelsea would also turn over operations, including fundraising, to outside parties if Hillary is successful in winning the White House, The Wall Street Journal reported.
President Clinton reportedly made the announcement to the foundation’s staffers on Thursday. He also unveiled another major change: the end of the Clinton Global Initiative, its annual event held for international leaders and donors.
Win or lose, the initiative’s final gathering will take place in New York in September, Bill Clinton said.
The foundation has been the subject of relentless attacks this election season, as Republicans suggest donations from foreign interests may have influenced Hillary Clinton’s decisions as secretary of state.
Emails released this month by the conservative watchdog organization Judicial Watch also appeared to raise questions of a connection between the foundation and the State Department.
“It’s called pay-for-play,” said GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump. “Some of these were really, really bad – and illegal. If it’s true, it’s illegal. You’re paying and you’re getting things.”
Foreign nationals and governments have indeed given hundreds of millions to the Clinton Foundation, according to The New York Times.
But the group has vigorously defended its philanthropic mission, asserting that donations from governments outside the U.S. were from grants awarded prior to Clinton’s appointment as secretary of state.
“When anyone contributes to the Clinton Foundation, it goes towards foundation programs that help save lives,” a spokesman said last year.
Should she win the presidency, the Clinton Foundation will only accept donations from American citizens and independent charities, representatives told ABC News.