The timing may be an accident. But four days after Marco Arment complained loudly and at length about the state of Apple’s software (and then wished he hadn’t) Apple issued a press release with a quote from Eddy Cue (“We’re so proud of the creativity and innovation developers bring to the apps they create…”) and a fresh crop of App Store facts:
- New Years Day was the single biggest in App Store sales history
- More than $500 million was spent in the first week of January on apps and in-app purchases, also a record
- App Store billings rose 50% in 2014
- Apps generated more than $10 billion in revenue for developers
- To date App Store developers have earned a cumulative $25 billion
The rest of the press release featured quotes from happy developers and touted some of the same iOS 8 features — like HealthKit — that even users complain aren’t up to Apple’s standards.
Full text here: App Store Rings in 2015 with New Records
NEVER MIND!: Given that Apple released 2013’s App Store numbers exactly one year ago, it’s likely the timing of this release had nothing at all to do with Marco Arment.
Learn more about your favorite apps from Fortune’s video team: