• Home
  • News
  • Fortune 500
  • Tech
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Lifestyle
  • Rankings
  • Multimedia
FeaturesCalifornia

California agrees to help keep Hollywood production at home

By
Benjamin Snyder
Benjamin Snyder
Managing Editor
Down Arrow Button Icon
By
Benjamin Snyder
Benjamin Snyder
Managing Editor
Down Arrow Button Icon
August 27, 2014, 7:03 PM ET

Gov. Jerry Brown and lawmakers in California announced Wednesday that they’ve reached a deal to expand California’s film production incentive program to $330 million a year, tripling the expiring program that was limited to $100 million.

The tax-credit provides money to local film and television production, which has been facing competition from other states like New York along with across the border in Canada. In the last 15 years, production has reportedly dropped by half, according to a release from Brown’s office.

The program kicks in for five years beginning during the 2015-2016 fiscal year. Although the amount agreed upon is $330 million, legislators had been pressing for over $400 million, according to The New York Times.

News of the increase in tax incentives, meanwhile, comes just a few weeks after the California Film Commission said that the state had lost $2 billion in four years, according to Reuters.

“This law will make key improvements in our Film and Television Tax Credit Program and put thousands of Californians to work,” Gov. Brown said.

The two California assembly members who introduced the legislation were Democrats Mike Gatto and Raul Bocanegra.

The tax credits will be allotted based on the productions that would create the most jobs and will have the biggest impact on California’s economy. This will replace the current lottery system which Gov. Brown’s office said is a”flawed” and “arbitrary system.”

About the Author
By Benjamin SnyderManaging Editor
LinkedIn iconTwitter icon

Benjamin Snyder is Fortune's managing editor, leading operations for the newsroom.

Prior to rejoining Fortune, he was a managing editor at Business Insider and has worked as an editor for Bloomberg, LinkedIn and CNBC, covering leadership stories, sports business, careers and business news. He started his career as a breaking news reporter at Fortune in 2014.

See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
Rankings
  • 100 Best Companies
  • Fortune 500
  • Global 500
  • Fortune 500 Europe
  • Most Powerful Women
  • Future 50
  • World’s Most Admired Companies
  • See All Rankings
Sections
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Success
  • Tech
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • Environment
  • Fortune Crypto
  • Health
  • Retail
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Newsletters
  • Magazine
  • Features
  • Commentary
  • Mpw
  • CEO Initiative
  • Conferences
  • Personal Finance
  • Education
Customer Support
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Customer Service Portal
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Single Issues For Purchase
  • International Print
Commercial Services
  • Advertising
  • Fortune Brand Studio
  • Fortune Analytics
  • Fortune Conferences
  • Business Development
About Us
  • About Us
  • Editorial Calendar
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Diversity And Inclusion
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.