• Home
  • Latest
  • Fortune 500
  • Finance
  • Tech
  • Leadership
  • Lifestyle
  • Rankings
  • Multimedia
FinanceRupert Murdoch
Europe

Rupert Murdoch’s U.K. newspaper group settles with Prince Harry over phone hacking, admitting ‘serious intrusion’ into royal’s private life

By
Joe Jackson
Joe Jackson
and
AFP
AFP
Down Arrow Button Icon
By
Joe Jackson
Joe Jackson
and
AFP
AFP
Down Arrow Button Icon
January 22, 2025, 9:39 AM ET
Prince Harry, who quit as a working royal in 2020 and settled in the United States with his wife Meghan, had been due to give evidence during the now-scrapped trial. He was not present this week.
Prince Harry, who quit as a working royal in 2020 and settled in the United States with his wife Meghan, had been due to give evidence during the now-scrapped trial. He was not present this week.Chris Jackson/Getty Images

Prince Harry dramatically settled Wednesday his long-running lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch’s UK tabloid publisher, which agreed to pay him “substantial damages” after admitting intruding into his private life, including by hacking his phone.

Recommended Video

Murdoch’s News Group Newspapers (NGN) issued a wide-ranging apology and admission of wrongdoing, in what Harry’s lawyer David Sherborne called “a monumental victory” that underlined the need for further probes.

The publisher notably apologised to King Charles’s youngest son for the impact of the “serious intrusion” into the private life of his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, “in particular during his younger years”.

The settlement concludes a years-long legal battle over claims of unlawful practices by two of Murdoch’s newspapers — The Sun and now-shuttered News of the World — and avoids a High Court trial in the public spotlight.

The trial had been due to begin on Tuesday and last up to eight weeks.

“NGN offers a full and unequivocal apology to the Duke of Sussex for the serious intrusion by The Sun between 1996 and 2011 into his private life,” an NGN statement said, using Harry’s formal title.

It noted the apology covered “incidents of unlawful activities carried out by private investigators” working for the tabloid.

It also apologised “for the phone hacking, surveillance and misuse of private information by journalists and private investigators instructed by them at the News of the World”.

And it said sorry for “the damage inflicted” on Harry’s “relationships, friendships and family,” adding the publisher had “agreed to pay him substantial damages”.

‘Monumental victory’

Speaking outside the High Court, Sherborne said NGN was “finally held to account for its illegal actions and its blatant disregard for the law”.

“In a monumental victory today, News UK have admitted that The Sun, the flagship title for Rupert Murdoch’s UK media empire, has indeed engaged in illegal practices,” he added, referring to the media mogul’s wider UK media firm.

“The rule of law must now run its full course.”

Sherborne noted Harry and co-claimant Tom Watson, a Labour lawmaker, “join others in calling for the police and parliament to investigate” saying there had been “perjury and cover-ups along the way”.

The prince and Watson, a former deputy leader of the Labour party who now sits in the House of Lords, were the last remaining claimants against NGN over phone hacking and unlawful practices claims dating back more than a decade.

Both accused NGN executives of deliberately covering up the unlawful practices by deleting emails.

Watson on Wednesday paid tribute to Harry’s “bravery and astonishing courage” for bringing legal claims against “the big beasts of the tabloid jungle”.

Dozens of other NGN claimants settled in recent years, including Harry’s brother and heir-to-the-throne Prince William.

NGN also apologised Wednesday to Watson and agreed to pay him “substantial damages” for “the unwarranted intrusion carried out into his private life” by the News of the World between 2009 and 2011.

He was an MP and sat on a parliamentary media watchdog committee at the time.

‘Above the law’

Widespread phone hacking allegations against a number of British tabloids emerged in the late 2000s, prompting the launch of a public inquiry into UK press culture.

NGN apologised at the time for unlawful practices at the News of the World and closed it in 2011, while denying similar claims against The Sun and suggestions of a corporate cover-up.

It has since settled cases brought by around 1,300 claimants.

Before Wednesday, the publisher had already paid out around £1 billion ($1.2 billion) including legal costs, according to British media, and has never seen a case go to trial.

Speaking outside court, Watson appealed to the current Labour government and police to investigate the publisher’s new admissions.

“Are we really willing to continue as a country where some executives are above the law and out of the reach of the police?” he said.

The lawsuit was one of several that Harry has pursued against UK newspaper publishers, with whom he has long had a fractious relationship.

He has blamed the paparazzi for the 1997 Diana’s death in a car chase in Paris.

The California-based royal won a phone hacking case against Mirror Group Newspapers just over a year ago.

Harry, who quit as a working royal in 2020 and settled in the United States with his wife Meghan, had been due to give evidence during the now-scrapped trial. He was not present this week.

Join us at the Fortune Workplace Innovation Summit May 19–20, 2026, in Atlanta. The next era of workplace innovation is here—and the old playbook is being rewritten. At this exclusive, high-energy event, the world’s most innovative leaders will convene to explore how AI, humanity, and strategy converge to redefine, again, the future of work. Register now.
About the Authors
By Joe Jackson
See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
By AFP
See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon

Latest in Finance

Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025

Most Popular

Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Finance
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam
By Fortune Editors
October 20, 2025
Rankings
  • 100 Best Companies
  • Fortune 500
  • Global 500
  • Fortune 500 Europe
  • Most Powerful Women
  • Future 50
  • World’s Most Admired Companies
  • See All Rankings
Sections
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Success
  • Tech
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • Environment
  • Fortune Crypto
  • Health
  • Retail
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Newsletters
  • Magazine
  • Features
  • Commentary
  • Mpw
  • CEO Initiative
  • Conferences
  • Personal Finance
  • Education
Customer Support
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Customer Service Portal
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Single Issues For Purchase
  • International Print
Commercial Services
  • Advertising
  • Fortune Brand Studio
  • Fortune Analytics
  • Fortune Conferences
  • Business Development
About Us
  • About Us
  • Editorial Calendar
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Diversity And Inclusion
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • LinkedIn icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Pinterest icon

Latest in Finance

Personal FinanceCertificates of Deposit (CDs)
Best no-penalty CDs of 2026
By Joseph HostetlerFebruary 18, 2026
5 hours ago
barr
AILabor
AI doomsday where many workers are ‘essentially unemployable’ is totally possible, Fed governor says
By Nick LichtenbergFebruary 18, 2026
5 hours ago
Man in black t-shirt talking
AIIPOs
Figma investors cheer 40% growth, ties to Anthropic and OpenAI—but concerns remain about letting the ‘fox into the hen house’
By Amanda GerutFebruary 18, 2026
5 hours ago
hassett
EconomyTariffs and trade
Top Trump advisor furious about true cost of tariffs being revealed, vows to punish New York Fed for ‘worst paper’ ever in history
By Jake AngeloFebruary 18, 2026
6 hours ago
robot
AICareers
Deutsche Bank asked AI how it was planning to destroy jobs. And the robot answered
By Nick LichtenbergFebruary 18, 2026
6 hours ago
Real EstateZohran Mamdani
Why Zohran Mamdani is threatening to soak the middle class if he can’t tax the rich
By Catherina GioinoFebruary 18, 2026
6 hours ago

Most Popular

placeholder alt text
AI
Thousands of CEOs just admitted AI had no impact on employment or productivity—and it has economists resurrecting a paradox from 40 years ago
By Sasha RogelbergFebruary 17, 2026
1 day ago
placeholder alt text
Personal Finance
You need $2 million to retire and 'almost no one is close,' BlackRock CEO warns, a problem that Gen X will make 'harder and nastier'
By Sydney LakeFebruary 17, 2026
1 day ago
placeholder alt text
Economy
Trump crackdown drives 80% plunge in immigrant employment, reshaping labor market, Goldman says
By Nick LichtenbergFebruary 17, 2026
1 day ago
placeholder alt text
Economy
$56 trillion national debt leading to a spiraling crisis: Budget watchdog warns the U.S. is walking a crumbling path
By Nick LichtenbergFebruary 17, 2026
1 day ago
placeholder alt text
Personal Finance
Current price of silver as of Tuesday, February 17, 2026
By Joseph HostetlerFebruary 17, 2026
2 days ago
placeholder alt text
Commentary
Something big is happening in AI — and most people will be blindsided
By Matt ShumerFebruary 11, 2026
8 days ago

© 2026 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.