Biden AdministrationUkraine InvasionInflationEnergyCybersecurity

Trump halts WHO funding and says it failed ‘basic duty’ to stop the coronavirus pandemic

April 14, 2020, 10:56 PM UTC

Subscribe to Outbreak, a daily newsletter roundup of stories on the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on global business. It’s free to get it in your inbox.

President Donald Trump says he has directed a halt to U.S. payments to the World Health Organization pending a review of its warnings about the coronavirus and China.

Trump says the outbreak could have been contained at its source and spared lives had the U.N. health agency done a better job investigating reports coming out of China.

The president says the world depends on the World Health Organization to work with countries to make sure accurate information about health threats are shared in a timely manner.

Trump claims the organization failed to carry out its “basic duty” and must be held accountable.

But Trump says the U.S. will continue to engage with the organization in pursuit of what he calls meaningful reforms.

More coronavirus coverage from Fortune:

—How Fortune 500 companies are utilizing their resources and expertise during the pandemic
—Inside the surreal “Mask Economy”: Price-gouging, bidding wars, and armed guards
When will stimulus checks be deposited or mailed? Ensure yours is not delayed
Job hunting during a pandemic: How laid-off tech workers are faring
—How South Korea is preparing for the first nationwide election of the coronavirus era
We need to protect whistleblowers as the coronavirus opens the door for bad actors
—There are 32 authorized coronavirus tests so far—here’s how they differ
—PODCAST: COVID-19 might have upended the concept of the best companies of the year
—VIDEO: 401(k) withdrawal penalties waived for anyone hurt by COVID-19

Subscribe to Outbreak, a daily newsletter roundup of stories on the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on global business. It’s free to get it in your inbox.