Toyota and Panasonic Charge Together Into Electric Car Batteries

Toyota and Panasonic have announced a joint venture to design and build batteries for electric vehicles, or EVs.

Toyota will own 51% of the venture while Panasonic will hold the other 49%. The two companies will combine their existing equipment, personnel, and other assets for the joint venture, which is expected to employ 3,500 workers and start by 2020.

Panasonic is already a major supplier of batteries to the EV industry and the exclusive battery cell provider to Tesla.

The two companies already have a joint venture, Prime Earth EV Energy, which provides batteries for gasoline hybrid cars. Toyota’s increased focus on batteries is a contrast to other automobile manufacturers that have moved away from the business because of high development costs.

One of the areas of focus will be solid-state batteries. Although not commercially available yet, the technology is expected to result in smaller, lighter, and safer batteries that also hold more power per size than the lithium-ion batteries used today.

Toyota has been trying to develop solid-state battery technology for years. In 2017, the company had said it expected to put the batteries into use by the early 2020s.

EVs have become a major area of focus for the automotive industry. In December 2018, Volkswagen announced the capacity to build up to 15 million electric cars over several years.

Subscribe to Well Adjusted, our newsletter full of simple strategies to work smarter and live better, from the Fortune Well team. Sign up today.