• Home
  • News
  • Fortune 500
  • Tech
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Lifestyle
  • Rankings
  • Multimedia
Philippines

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s Outbursts Are ‘Scaring Away U.S. Investors’

By
Tekendra Parmar
Tekendra Parmar
Down Arrow Button Icon
By
Tekendra Parmar
Tekendra Parmar
Down Arrow Button Icon
November 13, 2016, 9:47 PM ET
MALAYSIA-PHILLIPINES-DIPLOMACY
Philippine's President Rodrigo Duterte (C) waves after meeting with Philippine nationals living in Malaysia during an official visit in Kuala Lumpur on November 9, 2016. Duterte is on his first official visit to Malaysia. / AFP / MOHD RASFAN (Photo credit should read MOHD RASFAN/AFP/Getty Images)Mohd Rasfan—AFP/Getty Images

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-American outbursts may be scaring away some U.S. investors.

According to Bloomberg, the Philippine semiconductor industry is worried as investments have halted and orders have been canceled.

“Hopefully, it doesn’t get to the point that they shut down,” Dan Lachica, head of the Semiconductor and Electronics Industries in the Philippines, told Bloomberg Markets.

Electronics count for almost half of the Philippines’ exports and among the U.S. electronic companies in the Philippines are Texas Instruments(TXN) and aerospace engineering company Moog (MOG-A).

Lachica declined to mention which companies have held off on further investment.

According to CNNMoney, Philippine equities have fallen since early August due to Rodrigo Duterte’s volatile conduct. He has variously called U.S. President Barack Obama a “son of a whore,” announced his “separation” from the U.S., attempted to ingratiate himself with Beijing and declared that he wants U.S. troops out of the country.

Rights groups and governments across the world have decried his savage, extra-judicial war on drugs, which has seen thousands of people killed by police and shadowy vigilante groups.

For information on the Philippines war on drugs, watch Fortune’s video:

Last week, Philippines Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III assured companies of the country’s commitment to U.S. investments in a meeting with top U.S. executives. Despite persistent fears, Dominguez told Philippine media that U.S. companies are not leaving the country.

About the Author
By Tekendra Parmar
See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
Rankings
  • 100 Best Companies
  • Fortune 500
  • Global 500
  • Fortune 500 Europe
  • Most Powerful Women
  • Future 50
  • World’s Most Admired Companies
  • See All Rankings
Sections
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Success
  • Tech
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • Environment
  • Fortune Crypto
  • Health
  • Retail
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Newsletters
  • Magazine
  • Features
  • Commentary
  • Mpw
  • CEO Initiative
  • Conferences
  • Personal Finance
  • Education
Customer Support
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Customer Service Portal
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Single Issues For Purchase
  • International Print
Commercial Services
  • Advertising
  • Fortune Brand Studio
  • Fortune Analytics
  • Fortune Conferences
  • Business Development
About Us
  • About Us
  • Editorial Calendar
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Diversity And Inclusion
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.