• Home
  • News
  • Fortune 500
  • Tech
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Lifestyle
  • Rankings
  • Multimedia
FinanceSysco

Regulators just effectively killed another big M&A deal

By
John Kell
John Kell
Contributing Writer and author of CIO Intelligence
Down Arrow Button Icon
By
John Kell
John Kell
Contributing Writer and author of CIO Intelligence
Down Arrow Button Icon
June 29, 2015, 9:37 AM ET
A US. Foods truck is shown on delivery in in San Diego
A US. Foods truck is shown on delivery in San Diego, California October 23, 2013. Jointly owned by funds managed by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Inc. and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co US Foods is the 10th largest private company in America. REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES - Tags: AGRICULTURE TRANSPORT BUSINESS COMMODITIES FOOD LOGO) - RTX14LLOPhotograph by Mike Blake — Reuters

A $3.5 billion merger between two of the largest foodservice distributors has been called off, a win for regulators that had sought to kill the deal.

Sysco (SYY) on Monday said it would pay a $300 million break-up fee to walk away from its merger agreement with US Foods, a move that comes days after a U.S. District Court granted the federal government’s request for a preliminary injunction to block the proposed Sysco-US Foods merger. Sysco also needed to pay $12.5 million to Performance Food Group, which would have purchased some US Foods facilities as part of the deal.

“After reviewing our options, including whether to appeal the Court’s decision, we have concluded that it’s in the best interests of all our stakeholders to move on,” said Bill DeLaney, Sysco president and chief executive officer.

Regulator concerns were a top worry when Sysco first announced the deal in late 2013. The Federal Trade Commission ultimately filed a lawsuit earlier this year over concerns about the deal, which it said would have given the combined company 75% of the national market for distribution services. The FTC was worried that that would tilt the power too heavily in favor of the foodservice distribution service companies, hurting customers like restaurants, hospitals, hotels and schools, which could have faced higher prices.

When deals are killed by regulators, companies often try to ease the pain by announcing shareholder-friendly actions. That happened today, with Sysco announcing plans to spend an additional $3 billion to buy back shares over the next two years.

About the Author
By John KellContributing Writer and author of CIO Intelligence

John Kell is a contributing writer for Fortune and author of Fortune’s CIO Intelligence newsletter.

See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
Rankings
  • 100 Best Companies
  • Fortune 500
  • Global 500
  • Fortune 500 Europe
  • Most Powerful Women
  • Future 50
  • World’s Most Admired Companies
  • See All Rankings
Sections
  • Finance
  • Leadership
  • Success
  • Tech
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • Environment
  • Fortune Crypto
  • Health
  • Retail
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Newsletters
  • Magazine
  • Features
  • Commentary
  • Mpw
  • CEO Initiative
  • Conferences
  • Personal Finance
  • Education
Customer Support
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Customer Service Portal
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Single Issues For Purchase
  • International Print
Commercial Services
  • Advertising
  • Fortune Brand Studio
  • Fortune Analytics
  • Fortune Conferences
  • Business Development
About Us
  • About Us
  • Editorial Calendar
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Diversity And Inclusion
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map

© 2025 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.