With Fright Night just around the corner, now is the time to curl up (with a pillow to cover your eyes) and watch blood and guts explode on your screen.
To help you do that, here are the top-grossing horror franchises of all time, according to CNBC. Jaws is the best selling franchise (adjusted for inflation). Here are the others:
- Jaws (4 films): $1.52 billion
- The Exorcist (5 films): $1.09 billion
- Alien (7 films): $945.4 million
- Friday the 13th (12 films): $778.1 million
- Nightmare on Elm Street (9 films): $660.8 million
- Halloween (10 films): $627.6 million
- Scream (4): $551.5 million
- Saw (7 films): $513.5 million
- Paranormal Activity (5 films): $409.6 million
- Resident Evil (5): $298 million
The National Retail Federation reports that the average adult expects to spend $74 this Halloween. That amount is slighter lower than the average for 2014.