10 Apple vs. Google battles to watch for
Silicon Alley Insider peers into the future and sees nothing but conflict
Google and Apple have already butted heads, first in mobile phones with Google’s (GOOG) release of the Nexus One, then in online advertising with Apple’s (AAPL) announcement of the iAd platform.
But those conflicts are just a prelude to bigger brawls to come, says Silicon Alley Insider’s Jay Yarow. In a slideshow posted Wednesday, he ticks off what he sees as the next 10 battle zones as each company tries to move into the other’s business. In his words:
- Google’s building an iPad-killer
- Google’s Chrome OS will be aimed squarely at the operating system market
- Walt Mossberg will eventually declare an Android phone better than the iPhone (right?)
- Apple will boot Google Maps
- Apple may also boot Google Search from the iPhone and replace it with Bing
- Apple could build its own search engine, providing its biggest threat to Google
- Apple and Google will start stealing important employees from each other
- Apple and Google will battle over the TV set
- YouTube’s rental service will go live and attempt to crush iTunes
- There will be a brutal M&A battle, but we don’t know what it’s going to be…
Click here to read the details.
[Follow Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Twitter @philiped]