• Home
  • Latest
  • Fortune 500
  • Finance
  • Tech
  • Leadership
  • Lifestyle
  • Rankings
  • Multimedia

Trendingnow

1

‘Take time in quiet’: Melinda French Gates says to spend at least 10 minutes a day on self-care

2

Harry and Meghan's homecoming comes with a multimillion-dollar tax catch—waiting four years could have shielded their $60 million fortune

3

Current price of oil as of August 21, 2026

1

‘Take time in quiet’: Melinda French Gates says to spend at least 10 minutes a day on self-care

2

Harry and Meghan's homecoming comes with a multimillion-dollar tax catch—waiting four years could have shielded their $60 million fortune

3

Current price of oil as of August 21, 2026
TechMicrosoft

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella testifies in trial over Activision merger that Call of Duty will ‘100%’ stay on PlayStation

By
Malathi Nayak
Malathi Nayak
and
Bloomberg
Bloomberg
Down Arrow Button Icon
By
Malathi Nayak
Malathi Nayak
and
Bloomberg
Bloomberg
Down Arrow Button Icon
June 29, 2023, 5:07 AM ET
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella arrives at federal court on June 28, 2023 in San Francisco.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella arrives at federal court on June 28, 2023 in San Francisco. Loren Elliott—Getty Images
Add Fortune on Google for similar content.

Micrososft Corp.’s chief executive officer reaffirmed his company’s promise to keep Activision Blizzard Inc.’s top-selling Call of Duty on rival Sony Corp.’s PlayStation console as he sought to defend the biggest-ever video gaming deal from a regulatory attack.

Recommended Video

Microsoft called its own CEO, Satya Nadella, and Activision CEO Bobby Kotick to testify in San Francisco federal court Wednesday to reinforce its argument that the companies’ $69 billion tie-up won’t hurt competition in the markets for console and subscription-based games. 

The case represents a major test for the US Federal Trade Commission’s ability to block tech deals in court after the agency lost a challenge to an acquisition by Meta Platforms Inc. earlier this year. 

Nadella said he would “100%” commit to keeping the Call of Duty shooter game on Sony’s gaming platforms. Last week, Phil Spencer, who heads Microsoft Gaming, also vowed under oath not to exclude the title from PlayStation consoles.

The promises were made to US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley, who must decide whether to halt the Microsoft deal — which has a July 18 closure deadline — while the FTC’s legal challenge to the blockbuster transaction plays out.

While answering questions from both Microsoft’s and the FTC’s attorneys during his nearly 45 minutes on the stand, Nadella shared a light moment with the judge, who asked him if he plays Activision’s hugely popular Candy Crush mobile game. “I do,” he said with a hearty laugh. “And Call of Duty.”

How game device makers use exclusive titles to beat competition has been a recurring theme in the FTC’s case against Microsoft. Nadella said he personally doesn’t support content exclusivity on consoles. “If it was up to me, I would love to get rid of” exclusives on consoles, he said. 

But Sony, the dominant console market player, has “defined competition using exclusives,” Nadella said. “So that’s the world we live in. I have no love for that world,” he said.

The FTC argues the deal would harm Microsoft’s rivals, including Sony — if Call of Duty is excluded from PlayStation devices.

The agency also says the deal would weaken competition in the up-and-coming cloud market, which lets gamers stream games to PCs and consoles rather than downloading them. 

Microsoft’s attorney Rakesh Kilaru asked Nadella if he thinks cloud gaming could replace console gaming. The company has argued that the FTC’s cloud gaming concern is a stretch given that the technology is still being developed.

“It’s tough,” Nadella said, explaining that Microsoft’s cloud gaming efforts haven’t “worked out” as well as the company had hoped. 

“Satya made it abundantly clear that Microsoft will honor its commitments to its partners and the gaming community to bring more games to more players,” Microsoft said in a statement.

Nadella’s testimony came after Kotick earlier told the judge that Activision will likely abandon Microsoft’s takeover bid if the FTC wins a ruling pausing the deal.

“My board’s view is if the preliminary injunction is granted, we don’t see how this deal will continue,” Kotick said.

Kotick pushed back against FTC’s console market argument. Taking Call of Duty out of PlayStation would be very “detrimental to our business,” he said, adding that gamers would “revolt” if the the top-selling title was pulled from any game platform.

He also displayed a lack of enthusiasm for putting Activision games on subscription game services, a market the FTC believes will be harmed if the deal is completed. 

The case is Federal Trade Commission v. Microsoft Corp., 3:23-cv-02880, US District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco).

About the Authors
By Malathi Nayak
See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
By Bloomberg
See full bioRight Arrow Button Icon
Add Fortune on Google for similar content.

Latest in Tech


Most Popular

Fortune Secondary Logo
Rankings
  • 100 Best Companies
  • Fortune 500
  • Global 500
  • Fortune 500 Europe
  • Most Powerful Women
  • World's Most Admired Companies
  • See All Rankings
  • Lists Calendar
Sections
  • Finance
  • Fortune Crypto
  • Features
  • Leadership
  • Health
  • Commentary
  • Success
  • Retail
  • Mpw
  • Tech
  • Lifestyle
  • CEO Initiative
  • Asia
  • Politics
  • Conferences
  • Europe
  • Newsletters
  • Personal Finance
  • Environment
  • Magazine
  • Education
Customer Support
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Customer Service Portal
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Single Issues For Purchase
  • International Print
Commercial Services
  • Advertising
  • Fortune Brand Studio
  • Fortune Analytics
  • Fortune Conferences
  • Business Development
  • Group Subscriptions
About Us
  • About Us
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map
  • About Us
  • Press Center
  • Work At Fortune
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Site Map
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • LinkedIn icon
  • Instagram icon
  • TikTok icon
  • YouTube icon

    Latest in Tech


    Most Popular

    © 2026 Fortune Media IP Limited. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice | Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information
    FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.