The Swatch brand needs little introduction. Everyone knows those brightly colored, mostly plastic quartz watches that boomed in the late 80s and 90s, and are still a staple of airport terminals everywhere. While there are many Swatch collectors out there, jumping on there limited editions and collaborations with artists like Damien Hirst, they’re not necessarily a staple of “serious” watch collections alongside pieces from Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin. But a new piece dropping today might just find its way in.
The Swatch Sistem51 Blue Edition for Hodinkee is a Swiss-made mechanical watch for just $150. It features a navy plastic case with a matching silicon band and measures 42mm in diameter: large enough to make a statement without being too in your face. It’s powered by Swatch’s Sistem51 automatic movement, a genuine mechanical movement assembled entirely by machine—a first in the industry.
It’s the Swatch brand’s second collaboration with Hodinkee—the watch website-cum-retailer which has been the flag bearer for the resurgence of interest in fine watchmaking. The first, another Sistem51 variant, sold out in short order and now sells for well over retail on eBay.
Model: Swatch Sistem51 Blue Edition for HODINKEE
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, quick-set date
- Material: Translucent blue plastic
- Dimensions: 42mm diameter; 14mm thickness
- Caseback: Transparent display back
- Caliber: Sistem51, automatic with 51 total components and 19 jewels
- Power Reserve: 90 hours
- Water Resistance: 30 meters
- Strap: Black silicone rubber with plastic pin buckle
- Manufactured: Switzerland
- Price: $150