U.S. lawmakers are due to question the former head of Equifax (EFX) at a Tuesday hearing that could shed light on how hackers accessed the personal data of more than 140 million consumers.
Richard Smith retired last week but the 57-year-old executive will answer for the breach that the credit bureau acknowledged in early September.
Late Monday, Equifax said an independent review had boosted the number of potentially affected U.S. consumers by 2.5 million to 145.5 million.
In March, the U.S. Homeland Security Department alerted Equifax to an online gap in security but the company did nothing, said Smith.
“The vulnerability remained in an Equifax web application much longer than it should have,” Smith said in remarks prepared for delivery on Tuesday. “I am here today to apologize to the American people myself.”
Smith will face the House Energy and Commerce Committee on Tuesday but there will be three more such hearings this week.
Equifax keeps a trove of consumer data for banks and other creditors who want to know whether a customer is likely to default.
The cyber-hack has been a calamity for Equifax which has lost roughly a quarter of its stock market value and seen several top executives step down alongside Smith.
Smith’s replacement, Paulino do Rego Barros Jr., has also apologized for the hack and said the company will help customers freeze their credit records and monitor any misuse.
There has been a public outcry about the breech but no more than 3.0% of consumers have frozen their credit reports, according to research firm Gartner, Inc.
Smith said hackers tapped sensitive information between mid-May and late-July.
Security personnel noticed suspicious activity on July 29 and disabled web application a day later, ending the hacking, Smith said. He said he was alerted the following day, but was not aware of the scope of the stolen data.
On Aug. 2, the company alerted the FBI and retained a law firm and consulting firm to provide advice. Smith notified the board’s lead director on Aug. 22.