All the Things That Are Killing Us, According to Science
French fries are delicious, and they’re killing us.
To which I say, join the list! From halloween candy to kittens, it’s a minefield out there.
As my colleague Sy Mukherjee points out, much of the alarmist signaling stems from legitimate research that’s been stripped of all context, caveats, and confounding factors in order to form a clicky online headline. French fries aren’t great for you, but they don’t spell impending doom, either.
Below, a list of 33 things that are killing us, according to science and the Internet.
- Caramel apples
- Halloween candy
- Drinking moderately
- Sitting still (probably, although not necessarily)
- Sitting still even if you exercise
- Most office chairs
- Cats (this includes cuddling kittens FYI)
- Having sex
- Not having sex
- Too much sleep
- Too little sleep
- Your stressful job (especially if you’re a woman)
- Working long hours (literally!)
- Running too fast
- Overthinking things
- Being angry all the time
- Negativity (literally!)
- Loneliness :(
- Super Bowl parties
- Being mean on Twitter
- Netflix and chilling
- Eating red meat (especially bacon)
- Being a vegetarian
- Business travel
- Not getting enough sunshine
- The beach
- Just nature in general