Skip to Content

Mike Pence Disavows One of Donald Trump’s Most Incendiary Proposals

Mike Pence on Aug. 31, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.Mike Pence on Aug. 31, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.
Mike Pence on Aug. 31, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.Ralph Freso 2016 Getty Images

Donald Trump’s running mate Mike Pence on Thursday disavowed the Republican presidential hopeful’s earlier proposal to ban Muslims from entering the country.

The governor of Indiana said Trump will no longer push for the temporary ban during an interview with CNN, in which Pence was asked why he will not condemn the incendiary plan. “Because that’s not Donald Trump’s position now,” Pence said.

Trump has received much criticism over the idea since introducing it late last year, including disapproval from Pence before he was named Trump’s pick for vice president. “Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional,” Pence tweeted at the time.