Skip to Content

Uber’s taxi application rejected by New Delhi after sex assault claims

INDIA-CRIME-RAPE-TRANSPORT-UBERINDIA-CRIME-RAPE-TRANSPORT-UBER
Allegations of rape by an Uber driver touched a raw nerve in a country plagued by the issue.Photograph by AFP/Getty Images

This article is published in partnership with Time.com. The original version can be found here.

By Rohit Inani @josefkisdrunk

Uber’s application to operate in New Delhi has been rejected in the wake of alleged sexual assaults committed by drivers working via the ride-sharing app, according to reports.

Letters sent to the company by state authorities detail how Uber failed to comply with the Home Ministry-imposed ban in the wake of the alleged rape of 27-year-old woman by one of its drivers in December last year, the Wall Street Journal reports. The driver denies the charge and his trial is ongoing.

But authorities have now sprung into action after a 21-year-old woman accused another Uber driver of sexual assault over the weekend.

Similar applications from two more app-based cab aggregators, OLA cabs and Taxi4Sure, were also rejected by local authorities.

Uber Delhi’s general manager Gagan Bhatia said in statement Wednesday that that the rejection of the company’s license was “unfortunate,” indicating that the company would apply again once federal guidelines were in place for registration.

“We welcome the opportunity to engage in constructive dialogue with the Delhi government to seek necessary permissions,” Bhatia said, according to the WSJ.

The application comes only days after fresh allegations of sexual assault against a passenger by another Uber driver just outside New Delhi.