If you think you’re eligible for compensation from GM’s ignition switch protocol, you now have an extra month to file your claim.
The period for filing was originally slated to end on Dec. 31, but the administrator of the Faulty ignition-switch compensation fund said late last night that it has extended the deadline through Jan. 31.
The program started excepting claims in August, and has received around 2,000 applications so far. Of those, 67 claims have been deemed eligible, including 32 death claims, as of Nov. 7.
In an appearance on CNBC this morning, fund administrator Ken Feinberg said that over half of the applications the protocol has reviewed “have no documentation whatsoever about the crash.” That doesn’t automatically mean the story is over though, he said.
“We’ll work with them to find out whether it was the ignition switch that caused the accident.”
Feinberg also noted that of the 13 deaths initially acknowledged by GM (GM), nine families have entered into the protocol, two will be soon and the other two have been contacted.