Private equity deals

September 27, 2013, 7:40 PM UTC
Fortune

Beats Electronics LLC, a headphone and speaker company created by Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, has secured a $500 million minority equity commitment from The Carlyle Group. The deal is expected to close next quarter. www.beatsbydre.com

Gannett Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is spinning out Captivate Network, operator of an IP-enabled digital place-based media network. The spinout will be facilitated by an investment from Generation Partners.www.captivate.com

Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
 has agreed to acquire Panasonic Corp.‘s healthcare unit, at an equity value of approximately $1.67 billion. KKR will hold an 80% stake in the newly-independent business, with Panasonic retaining the other 20%. Other bidders included Toshiba Corp. and a consortium of Bain Capital, Mitsui & Co. and the Development Bank of Japan www.kkr.com

Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
 has pulled out of the auction for fashion company Jones Group(NYSE: JNY), according to Reuters. KKR had been working on a joint bid with Sycamore Partners, and it is unclear if Sycamore plans to proceed. www.jonesgroupinc.com

Piada Italian Street Food
, a Columbus, Ohio-based fast-casual Italian eatery concept, has raised an undisclosed amount of equity funding from Catterton Partnerswww.mypiada.com

Platinum Equity
 has acquired HomeDirect Inc., a Hillsdale, Ill.-based transportation company for large consumer products, from Transportation Resource Partners. No financial terms were disclosed. Platinum Equity will merge HomeDirect with existing portfolio company MXD Group.www.homedirectusa.com

SunGard Data Systems is in talks to sell its data management unit to Apax Partners, according to Reuters. SunGard originally had sought upwards of $2 billion for the business, but has struggled to find buyers. SunGard was taken private in 2005 for $11.4 billion by seven private equity firms.www.sungard.com

Sign up for my daily email newsletter on deals and deal-makers: GetTermSheet.com