Apple’s iCloud FAQ: Web apps yes. iWeb, iDisk and Gallery no
Confirms the demise of three online services. Offers instructions for saving your work
Steve Jobs’ iCloud keynote speech on June 6 left a lot of unanswered questions, many of which Apple (AAPL) answered in an FAQ posted Friday. The highlights:
- iWeb, Apple’s web hosting service, is indeed disappearing on June 30, 2012. Instructions for moving to a new host are available here.
- Photos and movies stored on a MobileMe Gallery will go away at the same time. See here for how to save them.
- Same with files stored on MobileMe’s iDisk. See here for how to save those.
- Syncing Mac dashboard widgets, keychains, dock items and system preferences will no longer be supported after June 30, 2012. In fact, the verb “to sync” is no longer in Apple’s dictionary, and it offers no instructions for people who like to do it.
As a consolation, iCloud is offering these new services:
- iTunes in the Cloud
- Photo Stream
- Documents in the Cloud
- Automatic downloads and purchase history for apps and books
- Backup and restore
You can read the full FAQ here.