Search
US-POLITICS-WOMAN RULE SUMMIT
Kellyanne Conway, the former campaign manager of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump Photograph by Saul Loeb—AFP/Getty Images

Kellyanne Conway Says She Turned Down Press Secretary

Dec 12, 2016

It's official: Kellyanne Conway says she will not be White House press secretary for Donald Trump.

Speaking to conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt, Conway said she "politely declined" the post, according to Politico.

"As you imagine in President Trump’s administration, communications will be a very important aspect for it and there will be a number of people handling that,” she added.

Check out our 2016 list of the Most Powerful Women in Business

Conway, who ran the Trump campaign in the final months leading up to the election, was a favorite for the job. She previously tweeted that she had been offered a role in the Trump White House, though she declined to provide specifics. In late November, the AP reported that the president-elect offered Conway her choice of press secretary or communications director, but that she preferred to remain in an outside adviser role.

Indeed, while this is the first time Conway has directly stated that she turned down the press secretary offer, she has been open about her reluctance to take a job inside the White House. Earlier this month she tweeted that Trump will need "a superstructure like the one Plouffe built"—a reference to David Plouffe, who served as an outside adviser to President Obama.

Speaking at Politico's Women Rule Summit last week, Conway said that, as a mother of four, taking a White House job is a "bad idea, bad idea, bad idea, bad idea."

"I will do whatever the president-elect and the vice president-elect... believe is my best and highest use for them," she said. "But I know the relationship will be the same, so I’m not worried about it. It’s called 'The Kellyanne Role.'"

Other names that have been mentioned for the role of press secretary include radio host Laura Ingraham, who has said that she would "seriously consider" the job, Daily Mail editor David Martosko (who Trump spokesperson Hope Hicks says is not in the running), Republican National Committee communications director Sean Spicer, and Trump transition communications director Jason Miller.

Fortune has reached out to the Trump transition team for comment and will update this post when and if they respond.

All products and services featured are based solely on editorial selection. FORTUNE may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.

Quotes delayed at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Interactive Data. ETF and Mutual Fund data provided by Morningstar, Inc. Dow Jones Terms & Conditions: http://www.djindexes.com/mdsidx/html/tandc/indexestandcs.html. S&P Index data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved. Terms & Conditions. Powered and implemented by Interactive Data Managed Solutions