The U.S. Army’s new $12 billion mobile communications system remains vulnerable to hackers, according to a recent assessment by outside security experts, prompting a series of further improvements.
Already in use in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Warfighter Information Network-Tactical Increment 2, or WIN-T, system is supposed to allow for protected voice, video, and data communications by troops on the move. In June, General Dynamics won a $219 million order for communications systems to go in more than 300 vehicles.
Government overseers have regularly criticized cyber security features of WIN-T in reports over the past few years, prompting an outside review by Johns Hopkins University and the Army Research Laboratory. The public reports do not disclose specific vulnerabilities, however.
Get Data Sheet, Fortune‘s technology newsletter.
The outside review “recommended both improvements to user training techniques and procedures and hardware and software enhancements to harden against the cyber threat,” Army spokesman Paul Mehney said in a statement. “As with any network system, cyber protection enhancements are an ongoing effort.”
General Dynamics did not respond to a request for comment.
Last year, the Defense Department’s Operational Test & Evaluation unit warned again about the vulnerabilities and noted that there was a risk to the entire defense network, since many systems were interconnected.
“Although improved, WIN-T Increment 2 continues to demonstrate cybersecurity vulnerabilities,” the unit said in a summary report of the status of the program. “This is a complex challenge for the Army since WIN-T is dependent upon the cyber defense capabilities of all mission command systems connected to the network.”
The system brings together a variety of technologies, including satellite transmissions, radios, and line-of-sight communications.
Bloomberg News reported on the new assessment on Thursday.