The well-known cable television pioneer is now in the middle of the so-called streaming wars. A division of AT&T’s WarnerMedia, it includes the iconic cable network HBO, the production and distribution arm HBO Films, and the streaming-video-on-demand service formerly known as “HBO Now” (HBO Max is run by a sister subsidiary, WarnerMedia Direct). Fellow premium cable network Cinemax is also owned by HBO.
Jakub Porzycki—NurPhoto/Getty Images
Latest news for HBO
- TechHBO and Netflix lead 2021 Emmy nominations as streaming platforms dominate TV industryJuly 13, 2021 7:11 PM UTC
- ConferencesDylan Farrow’s advice to her younger self: ‘Be brazenly authentic’June 23, 2021 9:39 PM UTC
- EntertainmentThe story AT&T’s Q1 earnings don’t tell about HBO MaxApril 23, 2021 7:12 PM UTC
- TechHBO Max viewing will start counting against AT&T data limitsMarch 17, 2021 11:38 PM UTC
- EntertainmentHBO Max will offer cheaper subscriptions—for people who don’t mind watching adsMarch 12, 2021 6:09 PM UTC