Skip to Content

    This synthetic fabric manufacturer of Gore-Tex and Glide dental floss has a long tradition of making money and having fun doing so, dating back to the 1950s and 60s, when Bill and Vieve Gore invited all associates over to their home for the annual company picnic. Now, plants hold celebrations for business milestones, have dedicated fun committees and raise money for the philanthropic fund. Last year, Gore contributed the equivalent of 12% of pay to all associates’ stock ownership plan, with another 3% to their 401(k) accounts as a gift, not a match, for a total of 15% contribution. Read the Great Place to Work review here.

    Fortune Data StoreLooking for leads, investment insights, or competitive intelligence?Get Premium Access

    Company Info

    Rank last year17
    # of years on list
    19
    Industry
    Manufacturing & Production
    Year founded1,958
    CEO/Top executive
    Terri L. Kelly
    HQ location
    Newark, Delaware
    Type of organization
    Private
    Revenue (2015 or most recent year)
    $3.1 billion
    Web addresshttp://www.gore.com
    Total U.S. employees
    6,579
    Total employees outside the U.S.
    4,111
    Full-time jobs added in last year
    179
    FT job growth in the past year
    3%
    Number of work sites
    38

    Perks

    Company pays for 100% of healthcare costs
    no
    Offers health insurance to part-timers
    yes
    Offers telecommuting
    yes
    Offers job sharing
    yes
    Offers onsite childcare
    no
    Offers compressed work weeks
    yes
    Offers fully-paid sabbaticals
    no
    Onsite fitness center
    yes
    Discounted gym memberships
    no
    Onsite medical care facility
    yes
    Location of medical facility
    -
    Offers college tuition reimbursement
    yes
    Max tuition
    $5,250
    Offers paid time off for volunteering
    yes
    Max PTO for volunteering
    8

    Diversity

    % Women39
    % Minorities21
    % African-American/Black
    3.7
    % Asian
    5.2
    % Caucasian/White
    78.9
    % Hispanic/Latino
    8.8
    % Native American/Alaska Native
    3.1
    % Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
    0.3
    % Two or more races-
    Same-sex benefits
    yes
    Non-discrimination policy
    yes

    Paid Time Off (FT employees)

    Holidays
    11
    Vacation
    10
    Sick days
    Set
    General PTO
    -
    Total PTO after 5 years
    37

    Compensation

    Most common job (for salaried employee)
    -
    Avg. base pay (salaried)-
    Avg. extra compensation (salaried)-
    Total pay (salaried position)-
    Most common job (for hourly employee)
    -
    Avg. base pay (hourly)-
    Avg. extra compensation (hourly)-
    Total pay (hourly position)-

    Hiring/Staffing

    # of job openings (as of Feb. 2016)61
    # of job applicants
    18,692
    Avg. # of applicants per opening
    -
    FT voluntary turnover
    3%
    # of jobs filled
    1,252
    Jobs filled internally
    452
    % of jobs filled by referral
    25%
    # new graduates hired78

    Training

    Avg. hours of training per year (for salaried employee)61
    Avg. hours of training per year (for hourly employee)61