* What you need to know: Silver Spring Networks files for IPO
* Felix Salmon: What happens on August 3 if there is no deal?
* David Beisel: VC fundraising is neither a sprint nor a marathon
* Expansion overdrive: Carlyle Group in talks to buy energy investment firm
* Morning Call: U.S. futures stable ahead of monthly jobs report, London rises early, crude futures fall and the Nikkei closes higher.
* What every Facebook employee wants: A walk in the woods with Mark Zuckerberg
* Social media transformation: The people formerly known as the audience
* Chasing fraud: It’s easier for regulators to get their man than it is to get their money
* Tweet of the Day: @SteveMartinToGo Just hired three ex-News of the World employees to get my voice messages. So much easier.