Meanwhile, Nokia, Samsung and LG all lost market share, according to IDC
Apple’s 5% slice of the mobile phone pie chart at right, drawn from IDC numbers released Friday, may not look like much, but consider this:
- IDC is counting shipments all over the world, not just the U.S.
- IDC is talking about all mobiles, from cheap feature phones to high-end smartphones.
- Apple’s (AAPL) share grew more than twice as fast as upstarts like ZTE.
- Apple’s biggest rivals — Nokia (NOK), Samsung and LG — all lost market share over the past year.
Below: IDC’s spreadsheet and ashowing the five largest manufacturers’ respective growth rates.
NOTE: An earlier version of this story confused market share growth and shipment growth. Thanks to reader KenC for catching the error.
Also on Fortune.com:
- Apple vs. Samsung: The battlelines
- Jobs’ net is bigger than Ballmer’s
- Apple took 74% of tablet market in Q1
[Follow Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Twitter @philiped]