J.J. Abrams Says ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ is Finally Finished by Tom Huddleston, Jr. @FortuneMagazine November 23, 2015, 10:23 AM EST E-mail Tweet Facebook Linkedin Share icons With less than month before the year’s most anticipated film hits theaters, the director says he’s finally done tinkering. Director J.J. Abrams revealed over the weekend that he wrapped up work on the final cut of Star Wars: The Force Awakens early Saturday morning. Later that day, Abrams — who created television shows like Alias and Lost and also directed the recent Star Trek reboots — sat down with CBS CBS talk show host Stephen Colbert to discuss the much-hyped film in front of an audience at an event at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, according to The Star-Ledger. Abrams told Colbert — a self-proclaimed Star Wars super-fan — that his team “finished the mix of the movie” at 2:30 a.m. that morning. The announcement came the same weekend that Walt Disney DIS released a new television ad for the movie that goes heavy on the X-wing flight scenes. The new Star Wars movie gets its theatrical release December 18 and the buzz around the movie is already so intense that it has Hollywood analysts predicting the biggest-ever opening weekend in term of ticket sales. Advanced ticket sales for the film already topped $50 million last week, leading to speculation that The Force Awakens could be one of the highest-grossing films of all time when all is said and done.