Investigators Say They’ve Probably Been Searching for MH370 in the Wrong Spot by Reuters @FortuneMagazine December 20, 2016, 4:08 AM EST E-mail Tweet Facebook Linkedin Share icons Investigators searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have recommended extending the search by an additional 25,000 sq km (9,650 sq miles), to an area further north in the Indian Ocean, after conceding for the first time they were probably looking in the wrong spot. Australia, one of three search countries, rejected the recommendation citing a lack of “credible evidence” to extend the search, leaving it unclear whether Chinese and Malaysian search teams will finance a prolonged search. “The report does not give a specific location for the missing aircraft and so we need credible evidence that identifies the specific location of the aircraft to extend the search,” a spokeswoman for Australia’s Infrastructure and Transport minister Darren Chester told Reuters by telephone. Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said it remains to be seen how the investigators’ report could help identify the specific location of the aircraft. He did not make a statement on funding. The current 120,000 sq km (46,330 sq miles) underwater search area west of Australia in the Indian Ocean is due to be completed in January, with no sign of the missing jet. . Flight MH370 disappeared in March 2014 with 239 passengers and crew on board, most of them Chinese, en route to Beijing from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur. Its whereabouts have become one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries. The recommendation to extend the search followed a meeting in November between crash investigators, satellite communication and aviation experts including Boeing and government representatives from Malaysia, China and Australia. The search coordinator, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), issued advice on Tuesday that new evidence derived from ocean drift modeling and further analysis of satellite communications with the aircraft and washed-up debris helped determine the new area. “There is a high degree of confidence that the previously identified underwater area searched to date does not contain the missing aircraft,” the ATSB report said. “Given the elimination of this area, the experts identified an area of approximately 25,000 sq km as the area with the highest probability of containing the wreckage of the aircraft.” The proposed new search area is north of the current search zone that has been the focus of the A$200 million ($145 million) search so far. It would represent the second time the search has been extended if funding was forthcoming. Malaysia and Australia have contributed the bulk of search financing. Malaysia holds ultimate responsibility given Malaysia Airlines is registered in the Southeast Asian nation, while the aircraft is thought to have crashed west of Australia, placing it in the country’s maritime zone of responsibility. Grace Subathirai Nathan, whose mother was on the plane, said it was unclear what authorities were doing to find the new evidence that would satisfy the Australian government demands. “The families have time and again requested that an international appeal to all nations be made if the three participating states are unable to fully support the extended search,” said Nathan, who heads the next-of-kin support group called Members of Voice 370.