Adisorn Chabsungnuen/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images
By Aaron Pressman
November 8, 2016

Samsung may have a long and difficult struggle ahead to regain consumer confidence after its Galaxy Note 7 exploding battery debacle. This week, the company moved to win back some trust with a series of full page advertisements in major newspapers.

The ads, which ran in papers including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post, featured a one-page letter from Gregory Lee, president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America. Lee apologized for the problems with the Note 7 and the ensuing recall.

“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality,” Lee wrote. “Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry.”

Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter.

Lee also promised that Samsung “will re-examine every aspect of the device, including all hardware, software, manufacturing and the overall battery structure. We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers.”

The letter also appeared in USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, and Dallas Morning News, among others, Samsung said.

Samsung (ssnlf) said last week that it had replaced 85% of recalled Note 7 phones in the United States, with a “majority” of customers choosing to receive another Samsung-made phone.

The letter went on to mention a recent recall involving Samsung-made top-load washing machines. Samsung teams are going to customers’ homes to make repairs, the letter said.

The Galaxy Note 7, which features a 5.7-inch screen and a stylus, went on sale in August but was quickly beset by reports of batteries catching fire. On September 2, Samsung said it was voluntarily recalling 2.5 million of the devices that had been shipped up to that points. Two weeks later, the Consumer Product Safety Commission formally issued a recall for 1 million Note 7 phones sold in the United States. And after battery problems cropped up even in some of replacement Note 7 devices, Samsung said on October 11 it was killing off the entire product.

Analysts say Samsung missed out on sales of about 10 million units of the Note 7 phone.

SPONSORED FINANCIAL CONTENT

You May Like

EDIT POST