Apple was No. 1 and HP was No. 6 in San Jose metro area job listings
Apple AAPL topped list in the San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara metropolitan area with 847 help-wanted ads, according to a survey conducted by the California labor department in July 2011.
HP was trying to fill 358 positions in July. A month later the company announced that it was shutting down or spinning off two of its largest divisions. HQ must not have told HR what it was doing.
Health-care giant Kaiser Permanente had the most job openings in Silicon Valley’s four metro regions, with more than 1,100 in the Oakland metro area and 417 in San Francisco and environs, the San Jose Business Journal reports.
But the occupations most in demand, unsurprisingly, were computer-related. The top 10:
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications (5,381)
- Marketing Managers (1,979)
- Web Developers (1,956)
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software (1,504)
- Computer Systems Analysis (1,406)
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers (1,378)
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators (1,197)
- Industrial Engineers (1,035)
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects (948)
- Computer Hardware Engineers (739)