* Bank of America agrees to $8.5 billion settlement on Countrywide mortgage claims
* Semil Shah: Is Google asking the wrong question with social?
* Fighting fraud in China: Make employees sign "pre-resignation letters"
* Peter Cohan: Why start-ups matter
* Small violins: Bernie Madoff feels like a piñata
* Sign up for our morning email at www.GetTermSheet.com
* It's not the water: What makes New York bagels taste so good
* Scott Kirsner: VC firm turns portfolio company execs into scouts
* Thank you: Travel search start-up Hipmunk will identify which available flights are WiFi-enabled
* The Cayman Islands and Cyprus face a potent rival when it comes to tax havens: Reuters: Cheyenne, Wyoming