The updated Google Mini Box now searches Microsoft Sharepoint data as well.
The only piece of hardware that Google (GOOG) sells is a rebranded Dell (DELL) yellow box (or Blue) called the Google Search Appliance. Google sells these to businesses that have content behind a firewall which can’t be indexed by Google’s normal spiders. These businesses want to privately catalogue Intranet and back-office data using Google’s integrated search features without sending data to Google.
Today Google announced that these boxes will integrate company data from Cloud sources including Google Docs and E-mail, Twitter, company websites, blogs and other industry sources. Google also includes and updated people search feature …
The prices for these boxes and related searches start at $3000 for indexing 50,000 items and goes up depending on the amount of data.
The updated Google Search Appliance 6.8 includes:
- Cloud Connect – integrated search with Google Apps, Site Search and Twitter
- People Search – Search profile information about people in the organization
- Dynamic Navigation – filter search results with specific metadata attributes
- Active-Active – provide high availability by directing search traffic to multiple appliances
- Sharepoint 2010 – Search all content within Sharepoint 2010 out of the box.