While we wait for Google's own web printing standard to materialize, Pogoplug has a Cloud printing solution and Cloud storage available now.
Pogoplug announced two new products today that will help businesses, especially those who do a lot of their work in the Cloud (*ahem Google Apps), operate with traditional file servers and printers.
is a device you connect to your USB printer. It is compatible with any HP (hpq) or Epson printer made after 2005 (with more coming) and connects to the Internet via Ethernet cable or optional $29 wireless USB dongle.
“Pogoplug’s vision is to free the modern digital lifestyle from dependence on an always-on home or office computer,” said Daniel Putterman, CEO and co-founder of Cloud Engines, Inc. “First we changed the way people think about personal storage by making every hard drive accessible over the Internet. Now we’re web-enabling printers.”
<!-- more -->
Printing works from any device that has an Internet connection. You can just email Word or PDF files directly to an email address as an attachment for them to be printed on your home printer. That functionality will be enabled later this summer.
is a version of their current web file sharing product tailored to the needs of businesses. Features include:
- Usage Statistics and Auditing: quickly access a summary of how many times a file or folder has been viewed, streamed or downloaded. Keep track of the number of views, streams, and downloads.
- Customization: customize the look and feel of the Pogoplug interface, including the color, logo, domain name and background image. Customize the look and feel of emails that are sent when you share files.
- Custom Email Addresses: claim your own custom email addresses and let your clients email files to your Pogoplug. Create an unlimited number of custom upload folders and give them each a unique email address to share with your clients.
- Cloud/Mobile Printing: print from any mobile device, including the iPhone and iPad. Print to any printer connected to Pogoplug, from anywhere.
- Web View-Only Sharing: share viewable files over the web while preventing them from being downloaded. Web View is perfect for creative professionals and photographers who want to show clients previews of work but not allow them to download the files.
- Multiple Users: allows an administrator to set access levels and storage quotas for individual users.
- Remote backup: continuously mirror all or part of your Pogoplug storage to a second Pogoplug in a remote location.
Pogoplug also updated its Android app today to 3.0 which enables:
- Upload and download any file type and size
- Improved audio handling: now the audio file in any folder or filter will begin playing after the first one finishes -- it will also continue playing when the phone sleeps
- Photo viewing is truly full screen: your pictures are larger because the control buttons only appear when you press the screen
Regular Pogoplugs retail for as little as $47 at online shopping venues.
View Pogoplug's overview video below: